N.T. Hegeman Company, Ltd. is a family owned commercial real estate company whose principal asset is approximately 50 acres of highway frontage along Route 4 in Paramus, New Jersey. In 2010 the company celebrated its 100th year anniversary. The company was founded in 1910 by Max Germain who started as a residential builder/developer in the early 20th century in the New York metropolitan area. Max would buy large tracts of land, subdivide them into individual lots and then build and sell residential houses on the lots.
In the early 1900′s Max branched out into commercial real estate — buying, selling and developing commercial properties. The Route 4 property was purchased prior to the opening of the George Washington Bridge. Max died in 1938 and the company was then run by his two sons, Irving and Lawrence Germain. They, along with their two sisters, Florence Ellis Marcus and Norma Margolis, informally agreed that they would never sell the Route 4 property but instead selectively develop it with high quality commercial tenants. This policy has remained to the current day. The Company is currently being run by the descendants of Max Germain and, in particular, his two grandsons, Richard E. Margolis and M. John Germain, are active in the daily management of the company.